Wenta is seeking to appoint a Director of Finance & Resources (DFR) to build on our significant achievements to date and to help us develop and implement our refreshed vision for the future, leading our organisation through the next stage of its development. Founded in 1983, Wenta is one of the largest Enterprise Agencies in the country. Our vision is to provide inclusive support and advice to people considering starting and growing their own businesses.
This is a new role within the organisation and the FDR will have the freedom to do things his/her way and to make their mark at a very exciting time for Wenta. Reporting to the Chief Executive the FDR will be responsible for leading financial operations and directing Wenta financial planning and structures. This will involve co-ordinating, analysing and reporting financial performance to the management team and to the Board. The FDR will have overall responsibility for preparing short and long-term financial forecasts of financial performance. The job holder will also have a key role in supporting, co-ordinating and procuring a range of resources to ensure value for money.
This role offers a unique challenge for an individual with a passion for supporting entrepreneurs and individuals seeking to start and grow their own businesses. The role includes a significant opportunity to:
- Ensure all finance activity supports the execution of the mission and purpose of Wenta
- Build a culture of trust and outstanding performance at senior level
- Lead, motivate and support the small Finance Team to ensure services exceed expectations
- Act as an internal coach for the senior management team by providing professional advice/support
- Ensure that all company financial systems implemented are robust, compliant and fit for purpose
- Provide a high level of professionalism, effective stewardship and good governance
- Strive for excellence. Make a difference. Be a catalyst for change. Enjoy what you do.
Closing date for applications is Friday, 6 October 2017
First Interviews will take place week commencing 9 October 2017
Second Interviews will take place week commencing 16 October 2017
Commencement of Appointment – as soon as possible.
Key Purpose of Role
To lead financial operations and direct Wenta financial planning and structures, coordinate, analyse and report financial performance to management and Board and prepare short and long-term financial forecasts of financial performance. Support, coordinate and procure a range of resources to ensure value for money.
Key responsibilities of role
- Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Finance & Resources is responsible for ensuring all finance activity supports the execution of the mission and purpose of Wenta
- Contribute to the development of company strategy across all areas of the business, challenging assumptions and decision-making as appropriate and providing financial analysis and guidance on all activities, plans, targets and business drivers
- Develop and manage financial controls and systems within the Finance department and across the organisation ensuring they are robust, compliant and support current activities and future growth
- Providing advice, support and training on financial issues to the organisation
- To lead, motivate and support the Finance team to ensure services meet and exceed client expectations and KPIs
- Act as the internal coach and referral point for the senior team, providing professional advice and support
- Ensure that company financial systems are robust, compliant and support current statutory and management reporting, cash flow and Treasury management and are understood and implemented across the organisation.
- Responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of accounting and control information held in and reported by the organisations accounting system
- Evaluate the performance of the organisation against stated objectives developing performance measures and ensuring feedback to management and staff
- Develop, maintain and publish financial information on a regular basis, for use both internally and externally to promote the operation including cash flow statements, income and expenditure accounts and balance sheet accounts
- To oversee procurement, ensuring that correct and appropriate procedures are followed and that staff are trained in managing procurement across the organisation’s sites.
- Responsible for devising a long-term IT strategy, taking into account available funding, business needs and the overall direction of the organisation.
- To maintain an appropriate register of risk and mitigation plan.
- Overseeing the production of the year-end accounts, supporting schedules and liaison with external bodies
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions
- Responsibility for maximising returns on credit balance and exploring the best deals on the market for finance arrangements, loans etc
- Improving the systems surrounding all aspects of the organisations budgets, forecasts and business planning
- Implement and integrate new projects into business as usual activity
Change, Challenge and Improvement
- To constantly challenge and seek improvement within the finance team and across the organisation.
- Updating, reviewing and documenting the organisation’s financial policies and procedures.
Managing People & Teamwork
- To work in a collaborative and entrepreneurial manner to support and drive income generation
- Work with senior teams to grow the business, formulating strategies, preparing new business cases, supporting funding applications and plans
- To work as part of a team, supporting colleagues and communicating effectively with all.
The list of above duties is not exhaustive and the Director of Finance & Resources may be required to carry out other duties which are not listed above as and when requested by their line manager.
Applicants will need to demonstrate the skills and experience necessary to lead and manage all financial structures and statutory requirements across a complex multi-site ‘not for profit’ organisation. You will have a vision and ambition for the future development of Wenta. You will be resilient, have strong interpersonal skills and will provide inspiring, empowering financial leadership. You will have the passion, energy, drive, commitment and tenacity required to drive the organisation forward.
If you have the senior level experience required and the appetite to make our future a success, please download the attached job description and person specification.
Candidates are asked to submit:
- A covering letter in support of your application expressing your interest and why you think you would be particularly suited to the role of Director of Finance & Resources at Wenta
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Please return these documents to Sarah Gagan at Recruitment Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 noon on the closing date of Tuesday, 10 October.