New Year, New You - 10 tips to help you start a new career
by Sharon Gaffney
One of the biggest decisions you can make is to change your career. It becomes a more important decision when you decide to work for yourself.
At Wenta, we see people that have decided to work for themselves for all different reasons. From coming out of the city in high-powered careers to work for themselves, to mums and dads that have decided to go back to work after a career break from bringing up children.
Whatever the reason for starting their own business they all have the same concerns.
At Wenta we will never tell you that you have a bad idea, we will help you explore whether that idea is viable and then support you through the process and conquer those concerns.
Here are ten of my personal top tips to help you turn that idea into a reality:
1. Your chances of success are greater when you channel energy into bite-size chunks. It can seem overwhelming to try and do it all at once so take it step-by-step.
2. List all the reasons as to why you want to start your business. It is so important to understand what your motivation is for starting your own business.
3. Break your goal into a series of steps, focusing on creating sub-goals that are concrete, measurable, and time-based.
4. Tell your friends and family about your goals and business ideas. You're more likely to get support and avoid failure when you say it out loud - it also makes it feel more real when you say it out loud.
5. Regularly remind yourself of the benefits associated with achieving your business by creating a checklist of how life would be better once you obtain your aim.
6. Give yourself a small reward whenever you achieve a sub-goal, thus maintaining motivation and a sense of progress.
7. Make your plans and progress measurable and visual, try keeping a handwritten journal, completing a spreadsheet or covering a notice board with graphs and pictures.
8. Don’t be demotivated by people saying “I wouldn’t do that if I were you"... remember, they are NOT you!
9. Treat any failure as a temporary setback rather than a reason to give up altogether.
10. Lastly, now is the perfect time to create the perfect career for yourself, without constraints and people telling you what to do - GO FOR IT!